Monday 4 March 2013

Photos

Hello everyone, this post is just going to be a collection of my random photos.  A lot has changed in the last week and every new day I feel like a completely different person from the day before. I've never realised just how much I have taken for granted before or how fortunate I am.

 In the "first world" we often hear about poverty and the "third world." We are constantly bombarded by television adverts, posters and advertising campaigns and as a result we become numb to a reality that, until we see it, we will never understand no matter how many graphic images we see on the news. The other day I saw a little girl who can't have been older than two (it is hard to tell as malnourished children develop a lot slower than healthy children) eating out of a bin. 10 metres further on I saw an old man drinking the ice from a Mcdonalds  cup he had just pulled out of another bin. 

I am not going to turn into some over the top charity maniac. Honestly, I have never seen much evidence that charities make a substantial difference to those who need them most. I do however, have an entirely new outlook on life. 

I don't think I have a single friend who I haven't seen depressed or extremely unhappy at least once over something that seems completely irrelevant now. Including me! I have hit mental lows in my life that I have felt like I would never come back from but I feel like that will never happen to me again. I have seen things that, no matter how terrible my life seems, will make me always see the positive aspects of my life.

Anyway! sorry for that downer introduction but I had to get it off my chest and my poor twitter followers need a break from emotional tweets. Here are my photos! While Buenos Aires is messy, dirty and broken in lots of ways it does have it's charm and  looks great in photos. 


Last week I went to my cousin Belen's apartment. She lives on the 20 something floor of an apartment in the north of the city. The photo above is the view from her balcony and the photo below is her roof top pool! I'm sad that it was too cold to go swimming. I still haven't used a pool here yet.


I don't know if I have mentioned it before but I was a vegetarian for 8 years until I came to Argentina. 
I don't like meat and my body seems to dislike it as well but I have no other choice as I just can't find any vegetarian options! ANYWHERE.  I tried a Mcdonalds "beef/horse/whatever other meat and rubbish they could find" burger. It was okay but not as good as I thought it would be.


Belen






I met up with my Florencia in the afternoon and we went to Puerto Madero. For a nice walk and to hang out. I tried another burger which was a bit better.



We walked to the famous Pink Palace where Evita and Madonna both stood. I'm sorry the picture quality is so bad. There was also a demonstration in Plaza de Mayo about the Once tragedy (WHICH THE DISGUSTING EXCUSE FOR A PRESIDENT HAS FAILED TO COMMENT ON, INTERESTING THAT THE ONLY WITNESS WAS MYSTERIOUSLY SHOT DEAD AS WELL WHEN THEY CALLED FOR AN INVESTIGATION INTO THE GOVERNMENTS INVOLVEMENT) 

Last week I moved out of the city to Pilar to live with my uncle and his family. If there is one thing I have noticed it is that there is not a single sane person in my family. Here are my cousins, Guille and Clari.


Finally, here is a picture from saturday night. Sebastian, my uncle Mariano, Diego, Lucas and me. After our barbeque we went to a club called eyeliner because Lourdes from Las Bandanas (latin american spice girls) was performing! 


The day is what you make it! so why not make it a great one? - Steve Schulte


2 comments:

  1. Yes, I know a lot of stuff about this country that could be so heartbreaking :( anyways, I'm glad to see that someone that isn't from around here realizes the struggle some people have to go through here. ><

    Amazing photos as always~~! <3
    I want to arrange a picnic with Apria and you, dancing together to the sound of 2NE1 and Bandana!! ;)

    See you soon!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SI TU QUIERES BAILAR! that picnic sounds perfect :) I am so happy here in Argentina but the social and political issues are devastating but hopefully things will get better. xxx

      Delete